BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Mjolnir, and Why I Don't Wear One


If you know your Norse stuff, you should know that the Mjolnir (Thor's Hammer) is commonly worn as a pendant by those involved in Asatru. While I find the Mjolnir very appealing, I get an extremely strong feeling of "You don't need to be wearing that!" from all around me. At first I thought this was because I wasn't mean for Asatru, but as time went on I began to realize more and more that it was an Aesir pendant, and may be offensive to some around me.

So, because of this I do not wear the Mjolnir, nor am I Asatru. If I had to label myself as something I'd probably have to put me somewhere between Northern Tradition Pagan and Vanatru, as i've read much literature about these subjects. I also have much more pull and draw towards the Vanir and Jotun than I do the Aesir, cept for Odin who is always lingering in my mind.

All this stuff about the Mjolnir really got me thinking about something I had thought a while back. "Is the glamorous appeal to the public a main reason for why so many dawn themselves in jewellery?" I believe so and would not hesitate to say that at least fifty percent of the pagan community consists of it. Thus reason number three for me not wearing a Mjolnir pendant.

Lovely day to you!
-------ST

0 comments: